THE OLD CORN EXCHANGE
24 Market Place, Romsey
A Grade II* Listed building, Stratland Estates bought The Old Corn Exchange at auction in December 2016 with the intended use as Stratlands head office. Barclays bank have occupied the ground floor since 1994 and continue to do so, the first floor underwent extensive refurbishments in the summer of 2018 to create the new offices for Stratland Estates to use. The interior works were completed at the end of August last year and Stratland were pleased to move into the new offices in September. We are currently in the process of having the exterior of the building updated and hope to give the building a fresh new look in the near future.
Originally built in 1864 next to the Corn Market the aptly name 'Old Corn Exchange' was design as a pair with the Town Hall in (1866).
In 1928 alterations took place to the building which included new windows and the first floor being built however the balcony only survived until the 1950s.
The Old Corn Exchange was previously used for entertainment when it wasn't in use as a corn exchange, in the 1930's it was used as a cinema and a beer store in the cellar.